Advanced Typography: Task 3 Type Exploration and Application

 (Week 8 - Week 14) [Deadline: Week 14]

Khan Saif / 0367438

Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media / Taylor's University

Task 3: Type Exploration & Application

INSTRUCTION:


PROPOSAL/INSPIRATION:






PROGRESS:




Initial Sketch 1


Initial Sketch 2




Adjustment of letters in Adobe Illustrator 


(Some letters adjustments (strokes) must be made (e.g. Uppercase letter I and T).)


                                                  Kerning and Lettering of letters in Adobe Illustrator 


FONTLAB PROGRESS:


Kerning and Lettering in Uppercase



Kerning and Lettering in Lowercase



Kerning and Lettering in Numerals



Kerning and Lettering in Punctutations/Symbols



Finishing Presentation #1



Finishing Presentation #2



Finishing Presentation #3



Finishing Presentation #4




Finishing Presentation #5



Designing the poster for Application #1



Finishing the Application #1 (Used Vanishing Point)



Designing the decoration for Application #2



Finishing the Application #2 (Used Color Fill, Quick Selection, Vanishing Point, Dissolve Blending)



Designing the decoration for Application #3


Finishing Application #3 (Color Fill)



Designing for Decoration for Application #4



Finishing Application #4 (Color Fill, Gradient)




Finishing Application #5 (Overlay, Gradient)


FINAL SUBMISSION: 

My Font (Ingot): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y7qWIK1tOAWcNClZvklYWZ6X9VYXojhb/view


FONT PRESENTATION (5 ARTWORKS)[1024 px, 300ppi]









FONT APPLICATION (5 ARTWORKS)[1024 px, 300ppi]










Reflection: 

Experience:

I realized that this project alone is the combination of what we've learned so far, and despite the amount of conflicting problem solving has put in this project, I feel rewarded in the end. 


Observation:

I'll admit, trying to create a typeface that seems purposeful to certain a genre of design can be stressful, because there is so much I need to pay attention of when doing this project. Strokes, weights, kerning, lettering, these fundamentals, no matter how precise we're trying, there's always that one slight adjustment of letter, numeral, punctuation or symbol can are either getting too close or too far from each other, can cause a lot of distracting details, thoughts and feels between THE aesthetic and cognitive characters of the typeface that I have to repeat the cycle of trial and error and perfectionism. Overall, there is so much attention and proportion I have to pay for this project, and I understand that how important the consistent values for typefaces are. 


Findings:

The theme I'm going for for my typeface is really fun. To recap, I want to create a font that sets a theme of warning labels, and trying to use the fonts to communicate the warning labels in a rather playful manner. Looking back, this idea seems more ambitious then I thought I was going for and I'll admit, a lot of the inspiration I've researched for is all over the place.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog